The Aadhaar card is a unique 12-digit identification number for individuals. It is an important proof of identity and address. It comprises details like your name, address, date of birth, gender, and phone number.
The card is also required if you want to qualify for certain government benefits and subsidies. Therefore, it is important that you keep the information on your Aadhaar card updated.
The process to update Aadhaar card details online
- Visit the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) portal and go to the ‘My Aadhaar’ option
- Under the ‘Update your Aadhaar’ tab, select ‘Update your address online’
- If you have a valid proof for Aadhaar address update, click ‘Update Address’ or click ‘Request for Address Validation Letter’
- In the new window, input your 12-digit number and select either ‘Send OTP’ or ‘Enter TOTP’ option
- Enter the one-time password (OTP) sent to your registered mobile number
- If you choose time-based OTP (TOTP), select the address option, and click the submit tab
- Input the address according to the Proof of Address (PoA) and click the ‘submit update request’ tab
- Click the ‘Modify’ option if you want to modify the address
- Tick the declaration and ‘Proceed’ tab
- Choose the document you want to submit as PoA and upload the scanned copy and then “Submit”
- Click ‘Yes’ and choose the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) service provider for verification purposes before submitting the request
- Once the BPO service provider confirms that the details on the form match the PoA, the request is forwarded to UIDAI
- You will receive the updated request and acknowledgment slip
The process to update Aadhaar card details offline
You can follow the below-mentioned procedure for offline Aadhaar card update:
- Visit the closest Aadhaar Enrolment Center and fill the application correction form
- Submit the necessary self-attested documents along with the application form
- Pay the required fees for the requested Aadhaar card update
Steps to update or change address in Aadhaar card without document proof
UIDAI allows you to update the address details without document proof. You must follow the ‘Request for Aadhaar Validation Letter’ procedure for the Aadhaar card address change. The steps are as follows:
- Log in with your Aadhaar details to get the service request number (SRN)
- Click the link received on your registered mobile number and provide your consent
- When you receive the Verifier Consent, use the SRN to login and preview the address details before submitting your request
- You will receive a letter and secret code that can be used to change the address
How to update or change details in the Aadhaar card through the post?
You can also complete Aadhaar update through the Indian Post by following these steps:
- On the official UIDAI website, download the Aadhaar Update/Correction Form
- Complete the form with all the details that you want to update or correct on your existing Aadhaar card
- Send the form along with the required copies of documents to any of the following addresses:
- UIDAI, Post Box No. 10, Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh - 480001
- UIDAI, Post Box No. 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad – 500034
What details can be changed or updated in the Aadhaar card online?
Presently, the online UIDAI Aadhaar update is available only for address changes, which can be done as many times as you move to another place. You may update the address by visiting the portal https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/login.html.
For updating other details like name, date of birth, gender, email address, and mobile number, you must visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Center.
Procedure to update or change the name in Aadhaar card
- For Aadhaar card name change, you must visit the enrolment center
- Complete the update form and enter the registered mobile number
- Pay the applicable fee (currently INR 50)
- An executive will register your request and provide an acknowledgment slip
Steps to change your mobile number in Aadhaar card
You may no longer be using the mobile number you had registered with UIDAI. The Aadhaar card-linked mobile number can be changed by the below-mentioned steps:
- Visit the enrolment center and fill the application form
- Enter the new mobile number
- Submit the duly filled form and pay the fees (currently INR 50)
- The executive will register your request and give you the acknowledgment slip
How to change your date of birth (DoB) in Aadhaar card
For updating your birth date on Aadhaar card, follow these steps:
- Visit the closest enrolment center and fill the application form
- Submit the form along with DoB proof and authenticate your identity with biometrics
- Pay the fees (currently INR 50) and get the acknowledgment slip with the Update Request Number (URN)
What are the documents required for the Aadhaar card update?
The documents required for the Aadhaar update depend on what you want to change.
- To update the name, you must provide proof of identity comprising your name and photo, which can be a passport, driving license, Government of India-issued identity cards, legally approved name change certificate, and much more.
- To update the address, you may submit the passport, bank statement, Voter ID, Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) job card, pensioner card, Income Tax assessment order, and much more.
- For updating DoB, birth certificate, Tehsildar or Gazette Officer-issued date of birth certificate, Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC), or passport can be given as proof.
Things you should know while updating Aadhaar card details
- Ensure you provide accurate details along with the necessary documents
- Fill information in your local language or English
- Retain the URN as it is required to check the Aadhaar update status
- Complete all the required details in capital letters
- Submit the relevant documents based on the type of change you are requesting
- Self-attest the photocopies of all documents to be submitted
- The rectified Aadhaar card will be sent to the address mentioned on it
Reasons why your request for Aadhaar Card Correction or Update Can Be Rejected
Some reasons why your request for Aadhaar card correction or update is rejected are as follows:
- You have not followed the accurate procedure
- You failed to submit the relevant or necessary documents
- You provided incorrect information
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can Aadhaar be updated online?
Presently, only the address can be updated online. To update other details like name, mobile number, and date of birth, you need to visit the closest Aadhaar Enrolment Center.
What criteria do you need to meet to request changes to your Aadhaar details online?
To change the address details on your Aadhaar card, you need to scan and upload valid proof. If the submitted document is not accepted by UIDAI, your update request may be rejected.
Can you use the Aadhaar card while applying for a loan?
Yes, the Aadhaar card is an accepted address and identity proof. You can use it to apply for various loans like a personal, credit card, or home loan.
Which language should you use to update Aadhaar details?
You may use English or any regional language to update or correct details on your Aadhaar card.
What are the implications of not having your mobile number registered with UIDAI?
If your mobile number is not registered with the UIDAI, you cannot make any online requests. You will first need to visit the closest enrolment center to update your mobile number to avail of online services.
How can you change Aadhaar information offline?
You can modify Aadhaar information by visiting the nearest enrolment center or via the Indian Postal Service. However, address changes can be made either online or offline.
How can you modify the Aadhaar details of your child?
You must provide the Aadhaar information of any one parent. Any changes made to the parents’ details must be modified on the child’s Aadhaar card as well.
Do you need to provide old information while updating the Aadhaar card?
No, you do not need to provide any old information. You only need to update the current details and attach the necessary proof to modify your Aadhaar card.
How can you receive the updated Aadhaar?
You can either download the updated e-Aadhaar from the UIDAI website or refresh the details on the mAadhaar App.
How much time does it take to update Aadhaar details?
You should receive the Aadhaar card with the new details within 90 days from the date of application. You may check the update status online using the URN.
In this article